Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

"Why aren't there more women in bands? And it's like, duh."

Meg White

























I was always the girl in junior high who wanted to learn how to play the drums but was too shy to try out in band class. Instead, I was stuck with three years of playing the flute while three boys played the drums. And truth be told, only one of them was good.

I still don't know how to play the drums but my heart goes out to the strong female drummers out there - the Meg Whites, the Janet Weisses and the Carla Azars. They're the ones who still inspire me to one day pick up a pair of drumsticks.

What 14 year-old Melody could've used was something like Girls Rock Camp. This is their first year in Toronto (there are various chapters of this around the world) and alas, I no longer fit the age requirement (ages 8-16) but I cannot stress how important Girls Rock Camp is. As the Riot Grrrl manifesto says: "BECAUSE we see fostering and supporting girl scenes and girl artists of all kinds as integral to this process."

Girls Rock Camp is a 5-day workshop where young girls learn how to play instruments, have fun making music with other girls and there are even self esteem and leadership development workshops! Imagine what a kick-ass, confident drummer I'd be if I went! But I'm content with just being a kick-ass, confident writer instead. You win some, you lose some.

Tonight, Girls Rock Camp Toronto will be throwing a fundraiser at the Horseshoe Tavern featuring Gramercy Riffs, Julie Doiron and Forest City Lovers' Kat Burns. Rockin' ladies, rockin' cause and a guaranteed rockin' good time! Tickets are $12 at the door and all the proceeds go to Girls Rock Camp Toronto! Help the future Meg Whites!

(PS - The quote in the title is from the lovely Kathleen Hanna!)

For more information about Girls Rock Camp Toronto, go HERE.
Facebook event for tonight's event - HERE.

More grrrls who rock:










And of course:

No comments:

Post a Comment